“While visions of sugar plums danced in their heads…”
If the holidays are making you feel “plum tuckered out,” maybe a delicious sugar plum tart will pick up your spirits!
Sugar Plum Tart
For the Crust –
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonewall Kitchen Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons cold water
For the Filling –
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Sugar Plum Jam
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds (around 6-8) small plums, pitted and cut into 8 slices lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place rack in lower third of the oven. Grease a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- For the crust, place the flour, almonds, sugar, butter, Pure Vanilla Extract an salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cover and pulse several times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water 1 Tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together and forms a ball. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium size bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tablespoons flour.
- Heat 3/4 cup Sugar Plum Jam over low heat until it melts. Measure 1/2 cup of the jam and add this as well as the melted butter and the egg to the flour mixture. Mix until uniform. Reserve the rest of the jam to glaze the tart after baking.
- Spread half of the jam and flour mixture over the bottom of the tart. Place the plum slices in concentric circles starting on the outer edge of the tart pan, covering the entire bottom of the pan. Pour the remaining jam and flour mixture over the plums. Sprinkle remaining Tablespoon of sugar over the tart.
- Bake 40-50 minutes in a 350ºF oven until the jam bubbles and the fruit is soft.
- Remove from oven and brush the remaining Sugar Plum Jam over the fruit. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.