“I have a little dreidel, I made it out of clay…”
Celebrate Hanukkah with fun and delicious Dreidel cookies!
Candy Filled Dreidel Cookies
Royal Icing –
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Food coloring
- Make one batch of Sugar Cookie Mix according to package instructions.
- Roll cookie dough to 1/8-inch thick. Cut cookie dough using a dreidel shaped cutter. For each cookie you will need two solid cookies and one cookie with the center portion cut out. This is the easiest if you put the unbaked cut cookie shapes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut and remove the center portion of 1/3 of the cookie shapes.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for 8-12 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies) or until the cookies are light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes. Remove to cookie rack and cool completely.
- To make royal icing, whisk meringue powder and water with a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed to bird’s beak stage.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until smooth and thick. Adjust thickness by adding more confectioner’s sugar or water as needed.
- Dye royal icing blue with food coloring.
- To assemble cookies, place a solid cookie on a clean work surface. Pipe a small amount of icing on top of cookie close to the edge. Place a cookie with the center cut out on top. Fill the small cavity with small colorful candies. Pipe icing around the top edge and top with a solid cookie. Decorate the top cookie with dreidel symbols. Allow icing to dry completely before serving.
- Cover royal icing well since it tends to dry out quickly. Add coloring if desired and use ASAP.