“Baby it’s cold outside…”
Warm up with the perfect pairing for lunch or dinner on a cold winter’s day with this delightful combination.
Soup & Sandwich
- 1 package Stonewall Kitchen New England Corn Chowder
- 7 cups low salt chicken broth
- 3 potatoes, such as Yukon Golden, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound uncooked small shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonewall Kitchen Maine Seafood Rub
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, minced
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread or French baguette
- 6 ounces deli meat such as pepper salami, hot capocollo or hot calabrese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced Provolone cheese
- Baby lettuce greens
- Stonewall Kitchen Farmhouse Red Relish
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and potatoes to a boil. Add the soup mix and reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt the butter and sauté the shallot and garlic over medium heat until just softened and beginning to brown.
- Toss the shrimp with the Maine Seafood Rub. Increase the heat, add the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp begin to brown (about 3 minutes).
- After the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, add the heavy cream, dill and celery salt.
- Return to a simmer and add the shrimp, garlic and shallot mixture. Taste for seasoning and add the cayenne and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
- Cut the loaf of bread into quarters and slice each piece in half horizontally.
- Layer deli meat, cheese and lettuce onto bottom half of each sandwich. Spread Farmhouse Red Relish over greens and place top on to finish sandwich.
- If making sandwiches ahead follow instructions, but do not add salad greens and Farmhouse relish until just prior to serving. Wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Can be made several hours ahead of time.