We love the texture and flavor combination of this toast – creamy homemade ricotta and chunky jam with just the right amount of sweetness makes for a delicious start to your morning. Or a great snack! While the thought of making your own ricotta might seem daunting, don’t let it be – it’s a very easy process and once you make your own, it’s hard to go back to store bought.
The best part of making homemade ricotta is that you can customize it to get the texture you’re looking for. You can control just how wet or dry the ricotta is by the amount of time it is left to drain. For this recipe, we like to make the ricotta the day before for a quick meal the next morning.
Homemade Ricotta & Jam Toast
For the homemade ricotta cheese:
- 8 cups whole milk
- 2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
For the toast:
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- 2 Tablespoons homemade ricotta cheese
- 1-2 Tablespoons Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Jam or any fruit jam
- 1 Tablespoon shelled pistachios, toasted
- For the ricotta cheese, stack 4 large squares of cheesecloth in a colander, leaving overhang.
- Combine milk and buttermilk in a large, heavy pot. Place pot over high heat. Stir almost constantly as mixture heats and curd begins to form. When temperature registers 175-180° F, curds will separate from the whey and float to the top. Turn off heat.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer the curds to the prepared colander. Gather cheesecloth and press gently. Do not remove too much liquid or the ricotta will be dry. Let rest in colander 15 minutes.
- Transfer ricotta to a storage container. Sprinkle with a little salt and stir. Cover and chill for about 2 hours. Can be made 1-day ahead, keep chilled.
- For the toast, spread homemade ricotta cheese on toast. Spread jam over ricotta cheese and sprinkle with toasted pistachios.