Have you ever been in the middle of a recipe and realized you don’t have a particular ingredient? No, not another trip to the grocery store! Or worse yet, being in the middle of baking when the grocery store isn’t even open? Here are a number of substitutions you might want to have on hand with common ingredients you may already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 cup light (or dark) brown sugar = 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk plus either 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon white vinegar, or 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup cake flour = 7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup honey = 3/4 cup maple syrup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger = 1/2 teaspoon dry, ground ginger plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whole mlik = 1 cup skim milk plus 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup white vinegar = 1/3 cup fresh squeeze lemon juice
Happy cooking and baking!