With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we’re getting all of our treats together to pass out! Looking for a last minute gift? Try this treat jar, made out of recycled Stonewall Kitchen jars! We like our salsa or jam jars – they’re just the right size for a handful of cookies, truffles, or other small treat.
- A glass jar
- Spray paint or acrylic paint (we used acrylic for a “chalky” look)
- Desired size heart sticker (or piece of vinyl tape, cut into a heart shape)
- A wide paint brush
- Jute or ribbon
- Start by removing any labels from your jar and washing with hot soapy water to remove any residue. Products like “Goo Gone” will help if your label doesn’t remove easily. Dry jar completely.
- Place heart sticker in the center of the jar (or small ones all over!).
- Paint over the sticker. We found that multiple, thin layers worked best. Allow the paint to dry in between layers.
- Once paint is completely dried, remove your sticker and touch up any imperfections with a sharp blade.
And you’re done! A recycled jar turned gift vessel.
Thumbprint Jam Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of Stonewall Kitchen Jam, Marmalade or Fruit Butter
- Cream butter using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla one at a time. Mix until incorporated.
- Combine flour, salt and ground walnuts in a separate bowl and whisk until uniform. Slowly add flour mixture to the butter. Mix until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Knead a few times and chill dough 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet 2-inches apart.
- Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb or the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill each cookie with a generous 1/4 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 14-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest for a minute before transferring to a rack to cool. Top with additional jam if desired.