The time change has brought a whole new light to our kitchen… literally! There’s a spring in our step and we’re more than ready for spring and summer weather. To celebrate, we’re dishing up some Mexican comfort food tonight – Chicken Portobello Enchiladas with Pineapple Chipotle Salsa. With just the right amount of heat, you can enjoy the sweet taste of pineapple and smoky chipotle flavor of this salsa.
Chicken Portobello Enchiladas with Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
- 10 soft corn tortillas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, diced
- 3 medium portobello mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick and sautéed until tender
- 6 scallions, sliced, plus 2 for garnish
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro, plus 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1 small can green chilies, diced
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces Pepper Jack or Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Wrap corn tortillas in foil and warm in the oven.
- In a large saucepan bring broth to a boil; add chicken breasts, garlic cloves and peppercorns. With cover on, bring to a boil then reduce heat.
- Simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked and will shred easily (approximately 1 hour). Remove chicken from broth and shred with forks.
- Combine shredded chicken with 1 cup salsa, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, chilies, scallions and cilantro.
- Put 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Remove tortillas from oven. Increase heat to 350°F.
- Put some filling into each of the tortillas and roll. Place filled tortillas in the casserole dish seam side down. Combine remaining salsa and and enchilada sauce and spoon over enchiladas. Top with cheese and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Garnish with sour cream, chives and cilantro.