What would the culinary world be with citrus fruits? Especially lemons. A go-to addition to many recipes in our kitchen (and products, for that matter) the tartness of fresh lemon adds great flavor to nearly any dish. The acidity of the citrus heightens flavor and adds brightness.
Although they are available year round, lemons are in peak season during the summer months. When purchasing your fruit, be sure to choose lemons with brightly colored skin and no trace of green – this is a sign that the fruit isn’t quite ripe. Lemons should always be firm to touch and plump in size. Depending on the condition when they are purchased, you can store your lemons in the refrigerator in a plastic bag for 2 to 3 weeks.
One of our favorite recipes to enjoy with lemon are these petite Lobster Cakes with Lemon Pear Tartar Sauce. They are perfect as an appetizer or served over a bed of baby greens as a meal.
Lobster Cakes with Lemon Pear Tartar Sauce
- 2 ears corn (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup bread crumbs, fresh or store bought
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mayonniase
- 1 red onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonewall Kitchen Maine Seafood Rub
- 1/2 pound fresh lobster meat, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Baby greens
Lemon Pear Tartar Sauce:
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 jar Stonewall Kitchen Lemon Pear Marmalade
- To make lobster cakes, cook corn in boiling water for 9-12 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut the corn off the cob and set aside in a large bowl.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in butter for 3 minutes. Add to bowl with the corn.
- Mix in all additional items except the vegetable oil. Chill for about 1/2 hour. Form into 2-inch patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Sauté lobster cakes 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown.
- To make the Lemon Pear Tartar Sauce, mix onion and bell pepper into mayonnaise and marmalade. Chill until read to serve.
- Place lobster cakes on a bed of baby greens. Top with tartar sauce.
- Garnish with fresh lemons.