We’ll admit that reaching for a salad during these cold winter months isn’t exactly at the top of our list – but when you include roasted vegetables, we’re in! There’s something to be said for the magic that happens when you roast vegetables in the oven. With just a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and high heat you can turn almost any vegetable into a caramelized treat that is irresistible.
We sat down with our in-house Recipe Developer to get the scoop on best practices for taking advantage of abundant winter produce available right now (think beets, Brussels spouts, carrots and turnips). To sweeten the deal? She shared a recipe for a delicious, warm vegetable salad that uses them!
Tips for Roasting Vegetables
- Cut vegetables into equal, bite-size pieces, unless otherwise noted, to maintain even cooking.
- I like to keep vegetables separate and line them up on the baking pan in groups. This allows you to easily remove vegetables as they are done. Some vegetables roast quicker than others (i.e. asparagus roasts faster than carrots).
- Lightly coat vegetables with oil. I like to use light olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil gives a lot of flavor, but has a low smoke point and will not tolerate the high heat required to roast your vegetables to perfection. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make sure the vegetables are spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. If they are too crowded, the vegetables will not brown and develop the roasted flavor you’re hoping for. Instead, they steam, which results in a very different flavor.
- Roast your vegetables in a 425°F oven for 10-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Turn them over about halfway through the cook time.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Hearty Vegetable Salad
For the vegetables –
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes, red or white, quartered
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into thick, matchstick slices
- 1 small bag of baby carrots, or 4 medium carrots, cut the same as the turnip
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts (stems removed, cut in half)
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced
- 1 cup beets, peeled and quartered
For the dressing –
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 cup Stonewall Kitchen Bourbon Molasses Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make dressing, blend the shallot, Bourbon Molasses Mustard, vinegar, brown sugar in a food processor. Slowly drizzle in the canola oil until blended. (Alternatively, you can finely chop the shallot and combine with mustard and brown sugar and whisk in canola oil.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss vegetables in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in a 425°F oven – approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Put all vegetables in a bowl and gently toss with dressing while warm.
- Serve with crusty bread and soft cheese.