Long after our jams had been established, we branched out and introduced a line of spreadable fruit butters to our product line. The first, and now award winning product, was our Fig & Walnut Butter in 2000.
“Fig & Walnut Butter was the first ‘butter’ product we introduced,” says Jonathan. “We were trying to create a spreadable fruit, but one that wasn’t set with pectin like a jam would be. Just simple, cooked down fruit until the consistency becomes smooth and spreadable.”
Decadently rich with just a touch of sweetness, our fruit butter is made from delicious, sweet figs, crunchy walnuts, sugar, orange and lemon juice and cooked down until it’s just the right consistency. “All of our travels inspire us and our products,” says Jonathan. “I remember being in Italy and trying a cheese platter with figs, walnuts and balsamic and saying ‘this is the greatest combination!'”
We love how versatile our Fig & Walnut Butter can be, used as a spread for pastries or toast in the morning, or paired with crumbled blue cheese for a savory treat. Try our Fig, Walnut & Blue Cheese Mini Cup appetizer below for your next get-together! We think it’s a wonderful addition to a cheese board display, as well.
Fig, Walnut & Blue Cheese Mini Cups
- 15 mini phyllo cups
- 5 ounces blue cheese
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Fig & Walnut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Brandy or Cognac
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Freshly snipped chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix Fig & Walnut Butter with the Brandy or Cognac.
- Arrange the phyllo cups on a lined baking sheet.
- Place a small square of cheese snugly in the bottom of each cup.
- Top with approximately 1 teaspoon of butter mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Place on an attractive serving platter and garnish with chopped chives.