Like many of our early products, our Spicy Corn Relish was born from the abundance of corn we had available to us at the time. Introduced to our customers in 2000, it quickly became a popular favorite.
It all starts with carefully selected corn. “We are extremely pick about the corn we use,” says Michele Cole, Product Developer. “It is essential for it to be sweet and tender.” Simmered to perfection with sugar, onions, cider vinegar, red peppers, chilis and jalapeños for a subtle kick, it’s still a customer (and employee!) favorite today.
“It has a nice balance of spicy and sweet and tastes fresh,” says Fiona, our Portland Company Store Manager. “It is very adaptable and a great snack to pull out of the cupboard with chips or pita chips. I drain the juice from the relish and add it to my cornbread. It’s also great added to chicken-rice soup – it turns ‘boring’ into ‘tex-mex delight!'”
We’ve found no wrong way to use Spicy Corn Relish over the years. Spice up a plate of nachos, load onto fish tacos or use as an accompaniment to your favorite chili recipe. One of our favorite dishes to share is our Corn and Black Bean Salad. It’s the perfect side dish to bring to a cookout during the summer months, because it goes with just about everything – and it couldn’t be any easier to make. Give it a try for yourself!
Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Corn Relish
- 1 can black beans (15 ounce), rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place all ingredients in a serving bowl. Toss and serve at room temperature.