When you take a buttery caramel base and add chocolate and sea salt, perfection happens. We think so, anyway! Cue our Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce. This company classic is without a doubt a staff favorite here at our home office (after Wild Maine Blueberry Jam, of course) and has also been one of our top selling dessert sauce since its launch in 2010.
When developing Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce, we started with our buttery caramel base. By starting with that base, we eliminated some of the ingredients that would have typically gone into a chocolate sauce, because it was already present in the caramel. To add our chocolate element, we melted down chocolate liquor with cocoa powder, sugar and pieces of sea salt for the ultimate sweet and salty combination.
“It is the perfect combination of sweet and salt,” says Kelly, DTC Director. “You can (and I do) eat it right out of the jar. It is amazing on vanilla ice cream, but for a quick fix, I dunk strawberries or pretzel sticks right in the jar.”
We have to say that we agree and are guilty of enjoying directly out of the jar ourselves whenever the occasion arises. For the ultimate treat, however, we love to use Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce in our Chocolate Semifreddo. A partially frozen Italian inspired dessert, it’s the perfect after dinner treat on hot summer nights. Best of all? It requires minimal ingredients and equipment. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer instead.
To celebrate our 25th Anniversary, we’re giving away 1 lucky winner their own jar of Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce! Enter here for your chance to win, as well as a chance to visit us in Maine for the Ultimate Stonewall Kitchen Experience!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce
- Whip heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and vanilla.
- Heat dessert sauce 15-30 seconds in the microwave, if it is not pourable. Make sure it does not get too hot. Fold the Stonewall Kitchen Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce into the whipped cream. Place in a covered container that can go into the freezer.
- Place semifreddo in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight. Best if used within 3-4 days.