‘Tis the season for entertaining and holiday parties every weekend! Are you growing tired of your usual holiday dessert line up? If so, we’ve got just the recipe for you!
We love a dessert that not only looks beautiful, but tastes delicious. But how do you accomplish that if you’re short on time? Cue our Holiday Trifles! Whether you’re making one large trifle or individual (our favorite way to serve them!), these come together in a flash but the homemade custard makes it taste like something you spent a lot of time on. Depending on the amount of time you have, you could also prepare a homemade pound cake but we’ve found that store bought works just fine. Once the pound cake is topped with jam and layered with the vanilla custard, berries, whipped cream and crushed cookies, your guests will never be able to tell the difference!
For an extra special treat, we like to drizzle the pound cake slices with Grand Marnier to compliment the hint of orange liqueur in our Holiday Jam. Full of ripe pears, tart cranberries and sweet raspberries, our Holiday Jam is a holiday favorite! To make this recipe even more special, we partnered with our friends at Salem Baking Company and used the very best cookie for a crumble on top – Cranberry Orange Moravian Cookies! Their bakers start with dough made from simple ingredients and carefully add real bits of cranberry and cold pressed Valencia orange oil to the batter to create the zesty, tangy flavor you’ll find in their Cranberry Orange cookies.
For the custard
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the trifle
- 1 store bought or homemade pound cake
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Holiday Jam
- ½ pint fresh raspberries
- 8 Salem Baking Company Cranberry Orange Moravian Cookies, crushed
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- To make the custard, whisk together granulated sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the egg yolks. Whisk in the milk and transfer to a medium saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened. Do not boil. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- Slice eight ¼-inch slices of pound cake. Spread the Holiday Jam over 4 slices and top with remaining slices. Cut into ½” cubes and set aside. (Optional: Drizzle pound cake cubes with Grand Marnier if so desired.)
- Whisk the whipping cream in a mixer with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Whisk in the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla.
- In four small glasses or ramekins, layer the pound cake cubes, raspberries and then custard. Repeat layers. Top trifles with sweetened whipped cream and crushed cookies.